Sunday, July 6, 2014

Know Your Folks

There are people who are good at names. They can easily remember other people and recognize them through names.

There are some who are good at familiarizing faces. They can tell who the person is by looking at his/her face.

In my case, I use a little of both of the two i mentioned but a large portion of my way to recognize people is through their way of thinking. I can easily remember people who have ideas that not too many people can conceive. And so while I was trying to identify who my students really are, the following short essay caught my attention. It was written by one of them and i quickly admire the courage that he possessed when writing this kind of revolutionary thought. But hey, stating the truth and realities are often times revolutionary and off at other people's ears and so we got nothing to do but to dig our mind a bit deeper and throw some appreciation to those who chose to open their eyes to what really exist in this f****** world. Here it is:

It's this generation of internet slaves/television dreamers, people who are convinced that they could be Movie Gods, Rock Stars but end up being white collar pawns working for the job that they hate, so they could buy shit that they don't need just to impress people they don't like ... see? That doesn't make sense! ... or does it? And I don't blame you for that, I blame your past time activities for that. It's maybe because you watch alot of television. 'Cause they have some seriously generic telenovelas and they have this dumbass sitcoms with cliche jokes. They don't even have the guts to produce well made films, they only show us Drama, Romance, Comedy and Horror, 'cause all their goal is to profit. Which eventually makes them more rich and "you" more obsess to what they're selling.
Let me tell you something about the local music industries and our radio stations. In this generation, their only goal is to be competitive, it's true, they've been playing this "Number One, love radio, Number two yes fm" for about forever. And don't get me started about this "Papa Jack Relationship Advice" segment that gives obvious advice to his shallow-minded callers. It's bad. Most of these television programs are bad and highly overrated.

Enough with my hipster-ish dialog. Let's go back to me being sarcastic about our generation.
For my fellow 1st year, specifically those who are between 16 to 18 that are having trouble growing up and still have the "Peter Pan Syndrome". Look ... we're grown ups now, so deal with it. We're suppose to face our responsibilities and bills and other big words that sounds extremely terrifying like taxes. Some of you will agree with me in here, unless you really want to be the course that you enrolled to, which makes me happy 'cause you're pursuing your dreams and you're being yourself. And for those who doesn't know what they want to be or don't know who they really are, if you want to know why society seems to shun you, or why you seem to get no respect, it's because society is full of people who need things. They need houses built, they need food to eat, they need entertainment, they need fulfilling sexual relationships. You will end up realizing that being kind wouldn't be in your resume and you will slowly realize that you are the asshole you always hated. That you enrolled in a school that the society wants, convincing you that, that's what you're programmed to do. And hiding you the truth that you end up fulfilling other peoples dreams, rather than your own. You will slowly learn these facts, and it's kinda depressing.


As you may know, as you grow, time seems to speed up and I don't know why this is happening but I'm not a big fan of it. And if you ask me, If I ever want to be younger if I could, well ... no, God no, I do not. I like this adulthood thing, it give me a much deeper understanding about the world. I remember back when I was in 1st year highschool, and teachers be like "Wilmer, this is the best time in your life" and I was like "Well it better not be". I might sound like a hypocrite or an asshole to you right now, which I kinda am. And most of you think that I don't know what I'm saying 'cause I'm too young and I don't have an idea how to do my own taxes. Well ... it's my speech! (or note, 'cause this is a note right?)

Share